Firstly, I wish to say hello and welcome to hp_fanmix!
I didn't see a fanmix community for Harry Potter, which I thought was odd, so I figured I'd take the opportunity and do it myself. I hope I don't make too much of a mess of things!
This community is open to join and the posts are unmoderated. I'm trusting everyone not to spam the community or disobey the rules. There's not a lot of rules and it should be easy to comply with them, so please don't make me go to moderated posting. That would just suck for everyone.
1. Please don't make off-topic posts. If you have a question, feel free to E-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I check my E-mail daily, so expect a response within a day or two. =)
2. In relation to the above, don't make community promotions here, unless it's part of your fanmix post. And if you could keep the promotion itself under the cut, that would be great.
3. Speaking of cuts, please keep everything under an LJ-cut (or a link to wherever the fanmix is.) If you don't know how to make a cut, then scroll down for instructions. I don't mind if you have an introduction describing the mix, I just don't want dial-up users to hate me for life. I was one once, I understand the frustration of waiting for a gazillion images to load.
4. These aren't really being ranked, I'm just typing them as they come to me, so don't think this isn't important-- PLEASE BE NICE. If you don't like the pairing, or if the artwork isn't that great, or you don't like a song used, don't be an idiot and harass the poster. Just move on and forget it, okay? Complain in your own journal, but leave it out of here.
5. Please try to follow the setup and use the community tags. I really don't want to have to go through and tag everything myself. If there's not a tag that you think should be there, let me know and I'll add it. I've tried to include the most popular characters and pairings I can think of, but I'm sure there's plenty more.
Main Page Listing
TITLE OF MIX - CHARACTER / PAIRING
INTRODUCTION / EXPLANATION
LJ-CUT / LINK TO MIX
That being said, how should your fanmix be set up?
The Fanmix Post Itself
1. I'm not really picky about how you put things, but I would like to see some kind of artwork. It doesn't have to be anything more than a picture with the fanmix title on it. You can have a front and back cover, or just one. You can have an image for each song if you like. Just please put something, okay? It's in the spirit of things. If you really can't make one, then ask me and I'll see if I can come up something for you. I don't want a dozen requests a week, though, so please try it yourself. You can always go back and change it to something better.
If you need an image host, there's links to a few on the main page.
2. A listing of the songs would be nice, especially if there's isn't one on your graphic(s).
3. This is common sense, but please put a link to the zip file or the individual songs if you're doing it that way. There's links to file hosting places on the main page if you don't know of any.
Using Rich Text Editor
See that button? Click on it, and this is what you'll see:
This is where you'll title your cut, and that's what shows up between the parentheses, i.e. "( It'll Look Like This )". You can keep it as "Read more..." or change it to whatever you like. When you do, click OK, and this is what will happen:
Where's your title? Don't worry, it'll show up, it's just not seen right now. Like the message says, inside that grey box is where you type whatever you want and put your artwork. You can delete the "Type your cut contents here" of course, because you don't want that!
Also, if you hit preview, it'll look like your cut didn't work. Don't worry, it did, it's just that preview takes you to your full page view and not how it'll look on the main page.
Plain Text HTML Editor
This way is actually a little bit easier steps-wise:
<*lj-cut text="Your Cut Title Here"*> Everything you want behind the cut goes here! <*/lj-cut>
All you do there is remove the astericks (*) and fill in what you want. =)
A Quick Note
Sometimes if you switch back and forth between the editors your post will get screwy-looking. It's happened to me before, and it's very annoying. Don't worry about deleting your post and starting from scratch. Just do a quick edit and change the post to friends only or private and then go back and see what went wrong.
Things I've noticed is that the end cut tag (<*/lj-cut) will somehow travel to right behind the open cut tag. Why, I don't know. Just cut and paste it back into place and see if that works. Another thing is that random <*/div> tags will pop up and make it look bleh, especially if you're using a lot of HTML. Again, I don't know why. Sometimes deleting them helps, sometimes it makes it worse. The opening and ending tags should be equal, but if there's extra end tags, then that's a likely culprit.
If you're cutting and pasting HTML, that could screw with things, too. Most of the time it's fine, but we all know that LJ is never perfect all the time. Just keep trying and hopefully it'll work out. If not, copy and paste what you can salvage into a temporary wordpad file and delete the post to start over. It happens, but try not to let it get to you!
I don't know much about HTML, so I hope that's helpful to you. If not, there's a couple of HTML help comms floating around, I'm sure somewhere at those places will be able to help you much better than I could. Feel free to ask me, though, and I will try my best to find out for you. =)